Tuesday, September 7, 2010

No Ordinary Pencil

Shae has a creative mind and thinks of many things and has many questions. To start of with ... she knows that pencils are wood for the most part and she set out to make her own.
Here's the story as it unfolds....
One evening, I was sitting on the couch and Shae said ...
Shae: "Mom, look, I made my own pencil"
Mom: "really?"
Shae: "yes, see!" with a huge smile she shows me a stick
Mom: "wow!" I am noticing that this is no ordinary stick
Shae: "Yep, and I want to use it tomorrow for my schoolwork but it doesn't write"
So, I explained to her how there isn't lead in that for it to be able to write. But wow! I was impressed as she sharpened it and had an eraser on it as well.
Now, fast forward to our following morning while doing schoolwork. Shae has a HUGE smile on her face and says...
SHAE: "Look mom! My new stick pencil works!" and she writes on a piece of paper and ... yes, it works indeed!
I JUST ABOUT DIED!! SHE WAS DETERMINED TO MAKE HER PENCIL WORK!
**She is so cute!! She broke a piece of lead off another pencil and rubbed it on the end of her stick pencil tip and continued using it with her schoolwork.

No comments: