Saturday, June 20, 2009

We have a Cecropia Moth

Here is the cocoon (very large!)
I checked on the cocoons about 9:30pm and there it was.... gently flapping its wings in the habitat. I had to wake the girls up to see it and then we decided to release it since moths are more active at night. It wasn't quite ready to fly yet so the girls got to hold it until it was ready.
It's wing span was as large as their hands.

We put the moth on the juniper tree and let it be.
Isn't it beautiful!

Then this am Tom went outside to take the dogs out and he noticed these two moths and called me out to see them. I wonder if one was ours and it found a mate? So, I picked up the rock they were on and placed it on the Juniper tree and we noticed there were having a little fun. tee,hee,hee! Here is a close up of them. Shae asked them what they were doing and quickly all I could think of was "They were kissing with their butts" and she says "GROSS!"

No comments: