Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A peek into our week

Shae has been enjoying her school work. We have been focusing on her reading a lot as well as her math. Thanks to "Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons" her reading has gotten so much smoother and she is feeling more proud of herself. She is counting up to 100 and more and she does great with addition and subtraction. I made this cute bunny and carrot slider thing to help her see the subtraction problems better. She likes to show her dad and make the bunnies eat the carrots."There are 7 carrots and the bunny ate 3 of them. How many are left?" And she slides the carrots to figure out the answer.
We have done the seed thing before but our science book was talking about how plants grow and our friend just did this ... so we had to do it again. She loves to watch the beans sprout.
As soon as we placed them at the window she watched them for a bit then asked "When will they grow?" We are charting how many days it takes and at day 2 one has already begun to sprout.
Kayla is very interested in sewing and since I am pretty good at sewing I will teach her. Plus I have way too many adult girl~friends who cannot sew even a button on a pair of pants. My daughters will definately know how to sew. I know first hand how important sewing is as I have altered just about every piece of clothing the girls and I have. I owe "thanks" to my mother who taught me how to sew when I was a young girl.

Kayla decided to make a butterfly pillow. So I dug out the scrap fabric. I made up a simple pattern and had her hand sew on several pieces first. She finally figured out how to knot the thread. She did awesome! She worked on this for a few days on and off.
She couldn't wait to get to the "real'" sewing machine. I didn't think about how curvy the butterfly was so it was a bit of a challenge. She did great and had good control of the fabric.
Finally, she got to hand sew on the buttons for eyes which was fun for her and then stuff it. Great job Kayla! She loves her pillow and has slept with it every night.
This is Kayla preparing for her performance at the adult day care center that we go to every month. This week was great! As Kayla was playing and singing her song she had one elderly lady singing along with her and several others clapping along to the beat. She is very confident and loves to play for people.
She is pretty excited to be playing a song at the Prescott Acker Christmas Festival this year.
Enjoy your Thanksgiving day!
I am now ready to eat my chocolate chip cookies and hang out on the couch with Tom and the girls.
As soon as I click "publish post"


No comments: