Thursday, November 11, 2010

November Art Class

So, I was playing around with creating a cat face to teach the kids to paint next week. The one above was fun, but way to detailed for the kids to do and may create frustration. So, I needed to come up with an equally neat looking cat yet with an easier less time consuming painting technique. I am all about the end product looking neat and the kids feel proud of what they created without taking to long.
The one below was much quicker and with a stippling technique.
My original plan was to create a leaf collage, but I didn't like my sample. That is what makes this so fun for me as I get to create everything first.

I have to keep it a bit simple and have ease in the instructions as my kids are only ages 7 - 10. Next week, we will paint these cat faces onto a piece of wood that my dad cut out for the kids. The wood is in the shape of this cat face so it will look awesome!


Someone once asked me how I get my art ideas. I find them in books or if I am out and I see something that I like I will take a picture of it. One of my kids in class may give me an idea or I just come up with something.

The other day the girls were at a homeschool field trip at the Highlands Center of Natural History. In one of the activities they asked the kids to draw something that had to do with nature. Kayla was describing to me her picture and she had this crazy blue blob going into the air. I asked what that was and she said that it was a lake and that she and her friend couldn't figure out how to make one so it would look flat. So, that will become one of our art classes in the future. :)

No comments: