Sunday, February 22, 2009

"Give me that test"

So, during our studies thoughout the week we always do spelling. Kayla isn't the greatest speller but then again ... who is in second grade? And thank goodness for spell check when they get older! ha,ha!
I started out the year following the spelling curriculum with having Kayla do the pages in the book along with writing them and us doing some spelling exercises. Then she started asking me if she can just have the test instead of doing all that work.
I thought that was a odd request. So, I thought about it and told her that is she gets 100% then she doesn't have to do the work. After all, how dumb to have to do all that work if you already know the words.

She was doing great and we did this for a couple of weeks. Then I decided to at the beginning of the week go thru and just give her a pre-test of several lessons and see which words she didn't know. This week we went thru lessons 16-20 and out of 75 words she didn't know 15 of them.
So, that became her new spelling list for the week. The only thing is that I had to make up and pick from all the lessons to create the work sheets that go along with those words. Which I don't mind ........... as I am the "Teacher" and can do that. :> )
She also writes in a journal a couple of times a week and I will look back in that and pull the misspelled words to add to her list.
The girls and I have learned so much and I myself have learned what they know and what to work on. Instead of "just moving on" to another topic and them not getting it.... we stay on it till they get it. It is the best and most through way for them to learn!

No comments: