Friday, October 8, 2010


The standard red check mark.
Do you remember in school when you got a red check mark on your work or tests? I remember and I had lots of them! I frequently got my paper, homework or test back with red check marks all over it. Then I thought ... "Oh well!" But, now looking back ... I never figured out why I got it wrong and never corrected them. And all my work went down hill as I got behind and never caught up. Or at least we weren't asked to correct them and bring it back for regrading. So, why do it? Right?
In our homeschooling I do grade everyday and I do use that same red check mark. But, they don't just get that grade and move on. Everything has to be corrected before they start the next days work. This assures them and I of what they did wrong and how to correct it to get the right answer. I often get the ... "Oh, I get it!" or "Oh, I see what happened!"
So, my kids aren't afraid of the red check mark or to get that terrible grade. They know that it is something to figure out and get another chance to get it right.

No comments: